FIGURE IT OUT is a retreat that will focus primarily on figure drawing. From the very beginning of the ArtisTTable we have organized extended figure drawing sessions, so it only made sense to dedicate one of our retreats to the full exploration of the tradition. The age-old practice of working with a “live” model is an invaluable resource for an artist wanting to revisit—or discover—the basics of translating form to paper.
This “immersion” figure-drawing retreat will go a long way in developing many of the core artistic skills that artists employ daily. The retreat will be based out of Royce Deans’ studio in the Leelanau Studios – Grand Traverse Regional Arts Campus in Traverse City, at the base of the breathtaking Leelanau County.
Participants are welcome to join us for the full 4 days, but can also come along for several or single days. The retreat will take part both in the studio and outdoors. It will include:
• Working from the model in the landscape.
• Long poses sessions.
• Painting demonstrations and instruction by request.
• Sunday Evening artist reception
• Full daily schedules, of:
-Day sessions,Working from the model in the landscape (weather permitting, of course!) A wonderful opportunity to play with natural light and human form.
-Evening sessions, a single three-hour pose in the Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening drawing sessions. This will give time to explore form that isn’t possible with shorter poses.
• Every ArtisTTable Retreat participant is presented with a sketchbook and 6B pencil when they arrive in their welcome packet/goodie bag, emblazoned with the ArtisTTable logo! For you to keep and take home.
10am to 3pm – Model in the landscape (weather permitting) We have blocked out 5 hours of time in each day for this session to allow plenty of time to travel when necessary and set up and clean up. We will have a model for three of the 5 hours. There will be a short lunch break in the middle of this session.
5pm to 6pm – Those choosing to will join us for a dinner together each evening in Royce’s studio.
6:30pm to 9:30pm – Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings we will set the model for a 3 hour pose in each session.
Sunday Evening – 6:30pm to 9:30pm We will invite the public to come see the work that we have created over the course of these 4 days.
Things to keep in mind:
• This retreat won’t include lodging. This means that if you are coming from out of own, you will need to arrange a place to stay. While there are many hotels and Airbnbs available, we can also put you in touch with a local artist, at whose place you can stay for the duration of your stay. For more information on this, contact us at info@ArtisTTableOnline.com.
• You are responsible to bring your own drawing and painting materials and gear with you on this retreat. You are welcome to work in the medium of your choice, including oil. We suggested that you bring a portable set up that is en plein-air appropriate. You should also consider that while northern Michigan at the end of September can be quite warm, there is a possibility for cooler weather, and even a little rain, so pack accordingly! There are, however, plenty of tables and easels to work with.
We are confident it will be unforgettable, but don’t take our word for it: click here to read what others have had to say.
(Corner of M-22 and Cherry Bend Road)
If you are going to drive to Traverse City you should know that distances from:
Traverse City is reachable by air through the Cherry Capital Airport (TVC). It is served by American, Delta and United with direct flights from Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis and NYC.
Tali and Royce have been presenting their own special version of art workshops in many settings around the world since 2007. Personal expression and discovering the creative being at the core of every participant is always their focus.
Both Tali and Royce are professional artists that practice their craft on a daily basis. Read more about Tali and Royce by clicking here.
We hope to see you soon, in Traverse City!